Tuesday, May 3, 2011

More than 20 dogs seized from Chester Co. home

by KENNETH MOTON

In Chester County, the SPCA rushed to the scene of an alleged case of animal hoarding.

The raid took place Tuesday afternoon on the 400 block of South Bonsall Road in West Caln Township.

One by one, Yorkies, Chihuahuas and Dachshunds were brought out of the home.

Investigators say the homeowner, Wynne Byers, was hoarding 29 animals, 24 dogs and five cats.

"They're everything to me, I don't know why they're taking them away from me," Byers said.

As Animal Control Officers took them away, Byers kissed her pets goodbye.

She claims she's done nothing wrong, but the county's Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals says the dogs and cats are in bad shape.

SPCA officials say the pets were malnourished and were living in small cages surrounded by deplorable conditions..." More & video

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has this lady actually been charged with any crime? I thought the dogs shown in the video on TV looked pretty good for elderly dogs. Many actually looked chubby. The only pet limit law I could find for her area said if there were 26 or more DOGS (not pets), she would have needed a kennel license. She said they were vetted. They were clean. I'm not convinced she did anything wrong, but I can't find any news updates to see if she has been charged.

Anonymous said...

I'm her nephew, so you're getting this from the source. Originally they made 6 charges, but all were dropped against her. The SPCA, took 14 of the 24 dogs back to her (quietly). BUT, they won't release the youngest and healthiest to her and going to adopt them out - See a pattern of BS from the SCPA here?

Now, 3 of the cats weren't even hers, they were my Mother's and they won't release them either.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do see the pattern of BS. I couldn't help notice the media was notified in advance, although they were conducting this "raid" based on nothing but a tip from a neighbor. Once the cameras were rolling, I think they felt the need to take the dogs, although they all looked fine. I've contacted your aunt, and I'm trying to help her out. If you could get my number from her, and give me a call, I could use your help. I'm the lady from MD w/ the initials LS.